North Devon Journal Herald September 1830Found an article from 1830 (Journal Herald) documenting some changes that were happening in the town at the time.

The Hearts of Oak must have been a lot bigger back then, occupying a chunk of what’s now the taxi rank in Boutport Street. That would partly explain why the building is wedge-shaped today – a portion of it was chopped off around 1830